Full Course Description
The BDD Kickstart training consists of two one-day modules, focussing on different aspects of BDD. We can tailor the training to your organisation’s needs.
The modules are:
- BDD Fundamentals (for everyone)
- BDD with Cucumber (for programmers and testers)
We involve the whole team (BAs, product owners, domain experts, UX designers, developers, testers, and any other important stakeholders).
We give a thorough introduction to BDD, which is the process that Cucumber supports. There is no automation on this day; the focus is on analysis and collaboration techniques.
We’ll teach you Example Mapping - a powerful technique we have developed to help business, IT and QA break requirements down into concrete examples. This exposes misunderstandings early and will help you write better executable specifications and automated tests later.
- The fundamental principles and practices of BDD
- The importance of Rules and Examples
- Translating examples into Gherkin - Cucumber’s format for executable specifications
- Conversation patterns for discovering edge cases
- The importance of a ubiquitous language for problems and solutions
- Using Example Mapping and Discovery Workshops to achieve shared understanding
- Roles and responsibilities on a BDD team
BDD with Cucumber
This module is a solid introduction to behavior-driven development (BDD) with Cucumber. You will learn to write executable specifications with Gherkin - Cucumber’s plain-text format for automated tests. You will also learn how to use Cucumber to drive the development of a system, and see the design of the system gradually emerge. You’ll end up with a system that does the right thing, and is easy to test.
Non-technical people are welcome to stick around for this day, but they may find things start to get beyond their comfort zone.
- Installing Cucumber and setting up your development environment
- The TDD / BDD cycle
- Writing your first scenario
- Writing step definitions
- Using parameters in step definitions
- Techniques to keep your test code clean
- Backgrounds, Tags, Tables, Scenario Outlines and other Gherkin tricks
- Costs & benefits of working test-first
Each instructor is a highly qualified expert, with years of practitioner experience to share with the class. We believe in learning by doing, so our classes are highly interactive and practical.
This course is taught by Ryan Marsh, Trainer & Coach at Cucumber Ltd.